Working as an Aged and Disabled Carer
Average salary: $40,000 - $60,000
As an Aged and Disabled Carer, it is your responsibility to provide general help around the house, as well as emotional support, care and companionship for aged and disabled people, in their own homes.
If you enjoy taking care of people, helping people and are a keen organiser, a career in aged and disabled care might be one worth looking at.
- Handling the day-to-day needs of the person in their care
- General household assistance
- Shopping, cleaning and organising
- Providing emotional support
- Performing minor medical tasks
Experience and qualifications
- Whilst you don’t require any formal qualifications to work as an aged or disabled carer, they may be helpful, as Aged and Disabled Carers often complete a certificate III or IV.
- Empathetic and understanding
- Caring and enthusiastic
- Time management skills
- Organisational skills
- Communication skills
- Medical knowledge may be helpful