Working as a Chef
Average salary: $40,000 - $70,000
We love our food here in Australia, and as a chef, you’ll be preparing and cooking it for the customers that visit your restaurant, cafe or establishment.
If you love your food, enjoy a fast-paced work environment and are creative, maybe a job as a chef would be a good fit for you.
- Preparing, making and cooking food
- Planning menus
- Upholding hygiene and work health and safety standards and procedures
- Estimating food and labour costs
- Ordering food supplies and stock
- Working collaboratively as part of a team
Experience and qualifications
- You usually need a to undertake an apprenticeship, to become a chef.
- You may also require a food handling certificate, or food safety supervisor certificate.
- Food preparation and production
- Communication skills
- Cooking skills
- Great multitasking skills
- Good under pressure
- Ability to adhere to work health and safety guidelines