Working as a Sales Assistant
Average salary: $40,000 - $70,000
A Sales Assistant, also known as a retail assistant, sells goods and services, in retail and wholesale organisations.
If you enjoy talking to, and helping people, and are able to stay organised under pressure, a general sales assistant job might be one worth interviewing for.
- Handling consumer enquiries, and providing recommendations on products, price, delivery, warranties and product use and care
- Showcasing the product, or goods and services range, to potential customers
- Selling products, goods or services
- Accepting payments
- Managing stock, conducting product inventories and participating in stocktakes
- Maintaining product displays
Experience and qualifications
- No formal qualifications are required to work as a general sales assistant, however previous experience will put you ahead. Some on the job training may be provided.
- A VET course in retail will set you apart from other candidates, and give you an edge.
- Retail skills
- Sales and marketing
- Administration and management
- Time management
- Organisational skills
- Great multitasking skills
- Inventory management
- Communication skills