Registering for Centrelink and jobactive Provider Support

Registration Steps

Once you become unemployed it’s a good idea to start the process of registering with Centrelink straight away, even if you think you may not be eligible for payments immediately. You may also want or need to register for support from a jobactive provider, like Employment Plus. This is a brief overview of the steps involved with registration and what you can expect during the process.

1. Contact Centrelink to check your eligibility for support

Call 13 28 50 or find your local Centrelink office to talk to an advisor or make an appointment.

2. Attend an appointment with a Centrelink staff member to discuss your circumstances

Take ID (100 points) and any documentation relating to your employment status, i.e. a redundancy letter or separation certificate, with you. If you are actively seeking work, you may be eligible for financial support such as Newstart Allowance or Youth Allowance, but bear in mind that you are unlikely to be eligible for immediate financial assistance if:

  • you’ve been in Australia for less than two years
  • you have liquid assets above the current thresholds
  • you’ve received a lump sum payment as part of leaving your employment, i.e. a redundancy payment
  • your previous job was a seasonal, contract or temporary role

You can use Centrelink’s online Payment Finder to get an idea of what payments you might be eligible for, but remember this is just an indication and you will need to talk to a Centrelink customer officer. There are special Centrelink payments available for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australians.

3. Find out if you’re eligible for jobactive provider support

Your Centrelink customer officer will tell you whether you qualify for jobactive provider support, give you information about different jobactive providers and can make an appointment with your chosen provider for you. If you prefer, you can search jobactive providers online, by location and services offered.

Information about individual providers’ services, clients (job seekers and employers) and past performance can be found in the “Connections for quality” section. Job seekers with a disability may be eligible for services provided through Disability Employment Services rather than jobactive.

4. Be assessed for appropriate jobactive provider services

A Centrelink customer officer will place you in a services stream (a, b, c), based on your support needs, which will determine the level of services you can access through your jobactive provider:

5. Attend an initial interview with your chosen jobactive provider

You will need to bring ID, documents showing your employment status if you have them, (i.e. a redundancy letter, your Centrelink Customer Reference Number and a copy of your resume (if you have one).

At this interview, you will:

  • learn more about stream services, including access to job search facilities, work experience opportunities, training and non-employment support specific to your circumstances;
  • undertake a skills assessment;
  • access help with your resume;
  • agree on a tailored Employment Plan; and
  • find out about local employment opportunities appropriate to you.

6. Attend ongoing appointments and fulfill participation requirements to continue receiving Centrelink financial assistance and jobactive provider support

In most cases, you will need to show that you are actively looking for work and/or taking part in activities to increase your chances of finding a job in order to continue receiving financial support payments. Your activity requirements will be set out in your Employment Plan.

Hints and Tips

  • Try to keep copies of any documents you submit to Centrelink or a jobactive provider – you may need to refer back to them later.
  • If English is not your first language and you need an interpreter, your jobactive provider can find one for you and can help you access programs to improve your English.

Employment Plus
© The Salvation Army Employment Plus 2015. All rights reserved. Site by DGM Creative.
All requests for the use of this material in any form or by any means must be directed to The Salvation Army Employment Plus.