In 1987, Kmart and The Salvation Army started the Wishing Tree Appeal – now Australia and New Zealand’s largest and longest running gift collection.
With more than 2.9 million Australians currently living in poverty, the 2019 Appeal will once again support children, adults, seniors and families who are unable to afford gifts at Christmas and beyond.
To date, the Appeal has collected more than eight million gifts. As a company or individual you can also make Christmas a little brighter by doing one of the following at your local Kmart.
- Placing a gift under the Wishing Tree at any Kmart store
- Adding a little extra to your transaction by clicking the Wishing Tree logo on the self-serve checkouts
- Dropping your spare change in a coin collection box at any register
- Taking a bauble tag off the Wishing Tree and scanning the barcode at any register to contribute
5. Giving online at kmart.com.au/wishingtree
The Salvation Army is proud of the support it provides the community through this partnership with Kmart at Christmas, as well as the ongoing care to Australians who need it most.
Beyond the Wishing Tree Appeal, The Salvation Army helps more than 1 million Australians every year. Every week more than 100,000 meals are provided, 2,000 beds and 8,000 grocery vouchers are given to those experiencing homelessness and refuge is provided for more than 500 people fleeing abuse. On any given night, The Salvation Army will assist 2,000 people with crisis accommodation and the provision of essential supplies.