The information contained in this article is correct at the time of writing (19 October 2020). Please refer to the ATO website or the Treasury website for up-to-date information.
As part of the 2020-21 Budget, the government announced the JobMaker Hiring Credit Scheme, which is an incentive aimed for businesses to employ additional job seekers. The scheme will be administered by the ATO.
It is important to note that the scheme is subject to the passing of legislation. Eligibility criteria may be subject to change and further rules may be developed by Treasury. Please refer to the ATO website or the Treasury website for up-to-date information.
Eligibility criteria for eligible employers
To be eligible, employers must:
- hold an Australian Business Number (ABN)
- be up-to-date with their tax lodgement obligations
- be registered for Pay As You Go (PAYG) withholding
- be reporting through Single Touch Payroll (STP).
Eligibility criteria for eligible employees
Eligible employees must:
- have worked an average of at least 20 hours per week over the quarter for the employer to qualify for the payment
- be aged 16 to 35 years
- be receiving income support payments (such as JobSeeker, Youth Allowance (Other), or Parenting Payment) for at least one of the three months before they were hired.
Employees that start/and or stop employment during a quarter must meet a similar test based on the length of time in employment.
What are the credit amounts?
The JobMaker Hiring Credit will be:
- $200 per week for each eligible employee aged 16 to 29
- $100 per week for each eligible employee aged 30 to 35.
How does the JobMaker Hiring Credit affect recruitment?
There are some considerations for employers in their recruitment processes. For tailored advice, please call the Ai Group Workplace Advice Line.
Where to find more information
Further advice or assistance
For further advice or assistance on this topic or any other workplace relations matter, contact the Ai Group Workplace Advice Line.
Call 1300 862 217 8.30am – 5.15pm AEST Mon-Fri